TRIP INSURANCE RESOURCES
In a typical ski season +200 members travel with Austin Skiers to fabulous ski resorts in North America or go with us to several European countries. After 50+ years of offering trips we have learned that travel plans can and do change, most often without warning. While some of our trips do offer optional (for an added expense) trip insurance through the tour operators, the majority of our trips do not have this option. This past season, some of our members had to cancel their travel plans at the last minute resulting in a loss of all or the majority of their trip investment. If you would like to avoid this unfortunate situation, we encourage you to research trip insurance options now.
- NOTE: If you want "Cancel for Any Reason" (CFAR) coverage or insurance for pre-existing conditions (yours or family members at home), tour company or air carrier bankruptcies, or terrorism incidents you MUST purchase insurance designated for that purpose generally within 7 to 21 days of the date you make your first payment (deposit). Check with the insurance carrier as their cut-off dates will differ. BEFORE you sign up for a trip with Austin Skiers we encourage you to shop around, ask questions and compare. Reimbursement is usually between 50-75% of your reservation. Make sure you know how many days PRIOR to your trip you need to cancel, otherwise if you cancel too late you may not get reimbursed.
- If you have already signed up for a trip you may still be able to purchase trip cancellation coverage for illness/injury before or during the trip.
- Make sure it covers the country or countries you're traveling too, including any possible excursions.
- Be sure to read the fine print and understand exclusions before purchasing trip insurance.
- Keep in mind that most element of most policies are REIMBURSABLE! You pay upfront, file a lot of forms with the insurer & wait for payment. However, some medical costs are handled DIRECTLY by the insurer.
- Click on this link to help understand the difference between Trip Protection and Travel Insurance.
- Costs generally run between 5-10% of the cost of your trip.
- Some countries REQUIRE you to purchase travel insurance.
- Some countries and/or tour operators require you to show proof of vaccination prior to travel.
Are you wondering if trip insurance is right for you? Check out this article by US News & World Report on the "10 Best Travel Insurance Companies." Here is the list in order of ranking: Allianz Travel Insurance; Travelex Insurance Services; World Nomads; AIG Travel Guard; Seven Corners; Generali Global Assistance; IMG Travel Insurance; AXA Travel Insurance; Berkshire Hathaway Travel Protection and HTH Travel Insurance. Check this website out for comparison shopping between multiple carriers.
Pandemics: as a general rule Travel Insurance policy don’t
provide coverage for pandemics or a fear of getting sick. They typically have a
very specific list (Named Perils) – much like you can purchase for your home or
commercial business – of covered reasons for cancellation e.g., losing a job or
a terrorist attack. The policy language regarding this isn’t anything new as
virus exclusions began appearing in policies since the SARS epidemic of
2002-04. Regulation of insurance policies for the most part are governed by
states not the federal government who have approved these exclusions for years. Click here for the latest updates on Travel Insurance and Coronavirus. Keep in mind that some plans may exclude epidemics/pandemics and may not provide coverage for related issues.
Please know, Austin Skiers does not endorse any of the above named insurance providers or their services and we do not require you to purchase trip insurance to travel with our non-profit club. These resources are only provided for your convenience. If you have concerns about the reputation of any travel insurance company ask about their Better Business Bureau rating or their affiliation with the US Travel Insurance Association web.ustia.org/Travel-Insurance-Providers.
Questions to consider when talking with a travel insurance provider:
- ·Do you cover snow skiing?
- Do you cover snowboarding?
- Do you cover heliskiing?
- When does travel insurance begin/end?
- Do you cover Ziplining?
- Am I covered in the US and abroad and when would my policy take affect?
- What medical coverage do you provide? Does your medical coverage act as the primary insurance when covering my medical needs during travel? Is my pre-existing medical condition covered? How is pre-existing defined? Can I obtain a waiver? If not, what is covered under your policy?
- Am I required to cover 100% of my trip costs or can I choose the amount to cover?
- Are weather delays/interruptions covered? Are strikes, civil disturbances, terrorist acts covered?
- What if I miss a flight or get stranded during a trip - am I covered?
- Is medical evacuation covered? This is especially important for international destinations!
- Is there protection for lost, delayed or damaged luggage?
- What if I decide to cancel my trip for any reason, do you offer that type of policy? What are the requirements or exclusions?
- Am I covered (Financial Default Coverage) if my travel supplier suffers partial or complete suspension of their business?
- What documentation is required if I file a claim and how long does the processing take?
- Do you offer 24-hour assistance to answer my questions while I am traveling?
- How long has your company been in business? What carrier is underwriting the policy and what is their A.B Best rating? What accreditation do you have? What is your BBB rating?
- When is the best time to purchase to get the most coverage?